Anyone applying for a hot works permit from a local fire department in MA must show completion of an approved training program. This permit and corresponding training is required for most hot works conducted in MA. As of July 1, 2018, the City of Boston requires all persons engaged in hot works operation on the work site to be certified in Hot Works Safety.
At Leisure's convenient online Hot Works Training Program is approved by the MA Department of Fire Services and can be completed 24/7 from any internet-enabled device.
Hot works is any work involving burning, welding, or a similar operation that is capable of initiating fires or explosions, such as soldering, brazing, cutting, grinding, thawing frozen pipe, drilling or tapping, torch-applied roofing, or any other activity that produces heat, spark, or flame.
JATC Disclaimer of Endorsement:
Any reference in this website to any person, or organization, or activities, products, or services, related to such person or organization, or any linkages from this web site to the web site of another party, do not constitute or imply the endorsement, recommendation, or favoring of the JATC of Greater Boston, Springfield Elctrical JATC, and Worcester JATC or any of its employees or contractors acting on its behalf.
Course Details & Benefits:
Who needs a hot works permit from the fire department?
Since January 2015, anyone conducting this kind of work has been required to have a permit from the local fire department(contact your local fire department for the permit application form). The new exceptions to this are:
- Certain licensed tradespeople, such as electricians and plumbers, already pulling permits from the local building department under their specialty codes (e.g., electrical code, plumbing code). They do not also have to pull a separate permit from the fire department.
- Homeowners and hobbyists.
Who must complete a training program?
A qualified person must provide documentation that he or she has successfully completed an approved training program in order to serve in any of these capacities:
- Anyone who performs hot work.
- Anyone who serves as a "Permit Authorizing Individual" (PAI) to perform, supervise or delegate hot work;
- Anyone who performs as a fire watch except fire department fire details.
- Anyone who needs a permit from the local fire department to conduct such work.
Successfully completed means a certificate of completion with the person's name, date of completion, and a provider’s/instructor’s signature acknowledging the individual attended and completed the program.
This course covers the following topics:
- Introduction to Hot Work Safety. Learning objectives for this module are:
- Why Hot Work Safety Training is Important
- Key Documents for Hot Work Safety Training
- What is Hot Work? Types of Hot Work
- Heat Transfer, Fire Traingle, and Fire Extingusishers
- Common Fuel and Ignition Sources
- Permissible and Nonpermissible Areas
- Fire Prevention and Protection
- Hot Work Safety. Learning objectives for this module are:
- Written Fire Safety Program
- Hot Work Permits
- Hot Work Safety Team
- Specific Conditions/Processes. Learning objectives for this module are:
- Public Exhibitions and Demonstrations
- Confined Spaces
- Oxyfuel Gas Welding and Cutting Safely
- Arc Welding and Cutting Equipment Safety
- Resistance Welding Safety
- Thermal Welding Safety
- Roofing Operations
Our course is approved by the Commonwealth of Massachusetts Executive Office of Public Safety and Security Department of Fire Services. Click here to view our certificate of approval.
Upon completion of the course, your certificate is immediately available for download. Your certificate will be presented to you in an electronic format (PDF), which may be printed.
We didn't take the cheap route; we paid for a professional reader in a studio to provide you with optional audio narration. No computer voice. No echo. Just a soft, pleasant voice to read to you, if you choose.
Our website was built on one foundation: ease of use! We didn't integrate a random course player from a 3rd-party. Instead, our software is custom built to offer you the best user experience possible. To catch a glimpse of our course player, and learn about its benefits, click here.
Don't have time to finish your course(s) in one sitting? Don't worry about it. Our "bookmark" feature will automatically save your progress down to the exact location - so all you have to do is click "resume" when you're ready to continue on.
Access your account and complete your course(s) from any Internet-enabled device, any time, any place.
You don't need to be a computer expert to use our platform. Our entire site was built with the comprehension that "ease of use" is rule number one. Still, you may decide you want some help, and we are a quick phone call away. We receive a LOT of positive feedback for our customer support, so rest assured, you're in good hands.
Courses are not timestamped. Try us out, and if you are not satisfied with the experience, you will receive a full refund as long as you have not completed the course!